Are you familiar with “Email Admin Center”? if so, then good for you and if not, well an Email Admin Center is the area of an email that involves different administrative features (links) and information that are frequent in all your email messages. This administrative area may include links such as profile update link, unsubscribe link, contact information, and send to a friend feature or privacy information link.
If you know about what the CAN-SPAM Act requires, probably you know that commercial email messages should contain a working unsubscribe link and a postal mail address. As a consequence, those companies that don’t have a centralized admin area are now combining this and other information in one place or page.
Subscriber Acceptance – Since the number of companies are now applying admin center in their emails, subscribers are also getting familiar with the concept and they will get used to it and expect its appearance and functionality in all commercial emails they receive.
Trust – For marketers, building relationship like trust to their subscriber is not only because it is what the law requires but it is also significant to success.
Retention — Email address churn is a huge test for all email marketers. In order to make it easier for the subscriber to change their email address, seasoned email marketers include a link to a profile update page on their website. The subscribers are also allowed to change their preferences (HTML versus Text frequency) on the update form and they can also add or update demographic information there.
The information or links you include in your admin center strictly depends on the information that you have gathered from your recipients, the email application you are using, types of email messages you are sending, and your permission practices.
Requirements by the CAN-SPAM Act:
- Unsubscribe language – It could be reply to address or clickable link that takes subscriber to a Web page with an unsubscribe form.
- Postal mailing address
Recommended Permission Based Practices
- Change format preference – HTML or Text
- Update Profile or Preferences link
- Option to change email address
- Link to Privacy and/or Email Policy
- Email address of recipient – “You subscribed to this newsletter using the following email address email@example.com”
- Join date – Display the date when a recipient joined the mailing list.
- Let subscribers know that they have opt-in your list – “You are receiving this email because you opted in to receive our newsletter when registering for our ecommerce white paper.”
- Feedback and contact information – phone number and email address. Company name
Marketing and Display Features/Data
- Whitelist/Contact list information – “This email was sent using the domain ‘company.com.’ Please use this domain name when configuring email or spam filters.”
- View as a Web page – you should include a link to a Web version of the email. Some recipients have problems in reading text version and only have HTML compatibility on their reading devices and vice versa.
- Send to a Friend – Embedded form or link to Web site form that allows your readers to forward the email message to others.
- Subscribe link – Enables those who receive the email from someone else to easily subscribe themselves.
- Benefits statement/Purpose of email – Explain the purpose/goal of the email message.
- Email Frequency/Delivery dates – Let your recipients know the frequency of your email messages and the dates that they’re going to receive them.
Various Information Specific to Message Types
- Copyright information
- User Agreement Link
- Retailer Specific: Exchanges/Returns Shipping Information
Whether you apply these elements in your admin center, the most important thing to do is to work out on it and begin the process. Customers and subscribers are taking greater control over their information relationships – and they presume email marketers to live up to their end of the relationship. Those companies who didn’t apply the email admin concept continue to see a decrease in customers and subscribers and also trust in their brands is also affected.